Thursday, March 8, 2012

Kindergarten going on 3rd grade

I bought Henry this owl pellet that we're are still in the process of dissecting. He LOVED finding the skull and figuring out what animal it was.  We're going to glue it to the paper as a full skeleton when we're done finding the bones.
 Excuse me as I brag for a moment about Henry.  Since this is his life journal I have to record this for posterity.  Justin and I just went to parent teacher conference and we found out that Henry is pretty much a genius!  He's reading at a 3rd grade level!  I thought maybe he was approaching a 2nd grade level with his reading, but he's apparently way past that! He's also off the charts with everything else from math to science and the penguin that he drew was the most life like looking one of the whole class! He is polite and helps the other children with their reading.  He is kind to all the kids and he participates well in all activities.  I have to say that I feel really good about trying to home school him next year.  Even if I crash and burn, he will still be ahead of his class, AND doing what I've been doing to get him to this point of excellence was really fun and easy for me.  I enjoy teaching him and he is a little sponge and listens to everything I say.  I'm really looking forward to it:)

Still working on that smile.  lol! This was way better than the shot with the strawberry. 
The two things he needs to work on are being quiet while his teacher, Mrs. Genesi, is talking.  He has a tendency to talk to his neighbor, talk to himself, and make clicking noises with the back of his throat.  I don't blame him for making clicking noises because I remember being young and trying to figure out just how many sounds I could make.  It's so fun when you're a kid! 

When my mom went in to my Kindergarten parent teacher conference, she said my teacher, Mrs.  Barriger, who was also my brother's friends' mom, and said, "there's a big problem".  My mom sat there with her heart pounding in her chest, wondering what could be so wrong.  Finally she took a deep breath and sighed, "Annie just uses way too much glue".  Hahaha!  My mom was like, "um, that's not really a big problem".  I do remember pouring glue all over my hand, letting it dry and then carefully trying to peel it off so I had a life-sized glue hand with all it's lines and prints.  What's more fun than that?  It took a lot of patience and intricate peeling to get that thing off, skills that I appreciate to this day.  I frequently have to carefully peel stickers off of church pews, kitchen chairs, the floor without ripping them with a tearful Bea peaking over my shoulder.  I also need all the patience training I can get.  I am debating about even teaching Henry how to do it.  And don't try to even tell me that every single one of you didn't rub glue all over your hands at one point in your childhood. 

2 comments:

The Muse said...

Haha! I love the glue story. I loved peeling off glue as a kid, too :) When I was in elementary school, pretty much the only time I got in trouble was for being a chatterbox. So I hear ya, Henry!

DCRomney 2010 said...

I TOTALLY remember doing that.
And, Amelia, haven't I been telling you for the last 4 years that Henry is a genius??!? Really, were you that surprised?!?!?!
xoxoxox
C