Thursday, March 5, 2009

Three Year Update


So here's what the doctor had to say about Henry at his 3 year well child visit...and I have to admit that it might seem like I'm bragging, but this blog is ultimately for him so I have to be honest for posterity, right:). Henry measures at almost 41 inches tall which is over the 100th percentile on the growth chart. He'd be taller than every 3 year old his age and half of the 4 year olds. He's in the 85th percentile for weight, but has almost no fat on his body so it's mostly muscle and just plain solidness. Basically he's a big boy! This might have to do with the fact that Henry eats anything and everything. Since I've banned candy and snacks in my house after his cavity fiasco, he only eats fresh fruit and veggies for snacks and only occasionally some crackers. He has always eaten every vegetable I set in front of him and always appreciates my gourmet cooking even if it has strange ingredients like strong goat cheese and super bitter radicchio. Tonight we had steak, purple heirloom potatoes and purple yams (yes they really are bright purple) with rice and cauliflower and he ate a adult sized portion of them all. Looks like we've created a foodie! He has excellent verbal and physical skills and is now 100% potty trained! He's been in underwear for the past week without any accidents. No more poopy diapers for me! What a huge blessing.

Since I finished painting the house and don't have giant projects on my plate right now I have been able to spend more playtime with my kids and I've seen a real turn-around with Henry's behavior. He has almost returned to his wonderful old self (pre-Beatrice) and is now more stable emotionally and even communicates even better than ever. I find myself amazed at the long, grammatically correct sentences he constructs and the abstract ideas and thoughts he comes up with. He's really taking the world in, discovering, learning and understanding more of what life is all about. He is especially interested in Jesus Christ and his roll in this world. He frequently makes up songs about Jesus on his new guitar he got for his Birthday and comments in the car that "Jesus died and people were really mad" and that "Jesus is in heaven with the Prophet and my brother Georgie" We read the scriptures every night together and very often in his Book of Mormon comic book (so cool- a must have for boys called The Golden Plates). This is such a great time to get him used to thinking about Christ in everything he does...which puts a lot of pressure on me! His passion inspires me to be a better Christian and a better mother. Thank you Henry for your pure and sweet spirit. We love you!

3 comments:

ChrisnDave said...

I need to send Rio to live with you guys for a while to broaden his food experience - its a hopeless situation here with a mom who lives on chicken, cereal, fruit and sweets :)

Sarah said...

Do you know where I can get the Golden Plates? I browsed deseretbook.com and couldn't find it...

Laurel Dougall said...

AWESOME, Amelia! I wish I lived near you so I could try all your yummy gourmet food! Congrats on a job well done! Can you believe how time flies and that your first is so big already?!? There must have been something in the water in NYC because Sawyer is huge too. :) laurel