Saturday, April 2, 2011

Straight from Henry's Head

Henry and Wee-o digging for dinosaur bones at the Nat. His. Museum
Since we have sold our house and I'm not cleaning and organizing every day, Henry doesn't get to play Little Big Planet or watch TV anymore and his mind has gone into make-believe overdrive.  He pretends so many different things every day and creates elaborate paper objects ranging from Pirate flags, hats, full body armor, alien heads, and always gives me and Justin a present that says, "I luv yoo mom/dad, frum Henry".  Many times when I come downstairs in the morning he has a treasure hunt all planned out with either clues or a map.  The best part is that he treats me like I treat him when he can't find what I have hidden for him and starts talking to me in a baby voice, "can you see it mommy?, just look a little harder right around HERE" and basically points right to it.  Haha.  He's so creative.  He also writes and illustrates at least 10 pages of something every day.  Today he made me a drawing of me in "the savannah" with two trees, a lion and a giraffe that were amazingly cute.

Grinding corn Native American style
The other day when it was uncharacteristically warm outside we had some friends over and Henry and his friend Thomasin started digging for bugs.  Every bug they found was either mauled to death, drowned, or suffocated and every time they discovered that they had killed their new pets they felt really bad about it.  They they found a big worm they named Skipper that eventually died after also being drowned and they decided to have a funeral for it under our front yard mailbox.  They found a stone from the back yard and used crayons to color it and put stickers all over it.  Henry wrote a note to him and brought out a napkin, which supposedly his favorite blankie,  and tucked them both under the rock while they had his funeral. The mail lady drove up to deliver the mail and they told her the whole story and I could hear her from my window as she struggled to keep in her laughter.  It was so amusing.  We have also played vikings, dragons, dinosaurs, cowboys, etc.  I am really enjoying having a five year old.  He's so much more emotionally stable, is so sweet, tells me he loves me every day just out of the blue, kisses and hugs me often, takes care of his little sisters, is usually obedient, talks about Jesus and is curious about religious topics often.  I am so grateful for him and what he is becoming.  Just watching him being so proactive and independently interested in so many things is making me so excited to start seriously home schooling him.

Henry and Lucy having fun with phone games on the Culebra ferry

1 comment:

Lynn said...

What a great Aunt. Those little ones will surely miss Lucy. What a great example their idol is, serving a mission. Go Lucy! What fun they had!