Thursday, July 23, 2009

What to do, what to say...

So today I invited my friend and her mom who is visiting from Korea over for lunch and we had a lovely time eating, playing with our babies, picking raspberries in the garden and playing music. I also have been feeling the impression to give her a Book of Mormon so I got one in Korean, wrapped it up really nicely and gave it to her with my testimony. I have been praying and looking forward to giving it to her for a while now and I was hoping that I would feel the spirit and that it would go smoothly, but Henry was so out of control that I think he annoyed the spirit right out of me. He took the opportunity to try to get everything he wanted since he knew I was busy with something important. He screamed, hurt Bea on purpose, was acting like a maniac, asking for candy and gum was destroying my house and he also finished breaking our computer which he first started to break as a baby. Now it's completely shot. After my friend left I just wanted to cry because I dion't know if she took me seriously since the spirit was not there. I put Henry up in his room and put Bea down for her nap and lied down for the first time in months. I kind of feel defeated since I was the one who got annoyed and didn't have the spirit with me. How do I deal with him and how do I chill out in those situations? He's getting so wild I don't know what to do with him sometimes. Help!

4 comments:

jtingey said...

I know how you feel, and I think you handled the situation much better than I did as a young parent. You are doing great.

Johnny and Angela Dayton said...

Hi Amelia, I think we get too nervous about sharing something that is special to us. Just sharing ourself is touching to other people.

If one of your Jewish friends gave you a specially-wrapped Torah, or one of your Hindu friends gave you a Bhagavad Gita with a personal written note, you would be honored.

I think it's the same for everyone - even when their kid is being a normal kid ;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laurel Dougall said...

hey amelia,

first of all, i wouldn't berate yourself. i'm sure that your friend still felt the goodness of it all. but i understand your frustration. i would love to chat with you some time if you want some ideas on handling toddlers. each child is different and has different challenges. but generall speaking i would say that henry is old enough to benefit from clear expectations/boundaries and consistent consequences. this will help him to understand what is expected of him in these and any situations, and will make your life easier too. good luck! xox laurel