Monday, May 25, 2009

Sunburned Son


The sun has been beating down hard on Pittsburgh this spring, which is very unusual for us. My garden has been suffering and I'm sure our water bill will be sky high. Henry loves playing in his water table which has now turned into a mud table where he usually makes things and bakes things for the family. His favorite thing to make is cupcakes or maple syrup. The other day he refused to put his shirt on and wouldn't let me put sun block on him and then the next day it happened again. I am trying to not force him to do things anymore and let the natural consequences take over, but the burn he got exceeded the severity of the defiance and now his back is horribly burned, I think second degree in a couple spots. I feel horrible. The good thing is that he will never fight me again when I tell him to put on his shirt or sun block. What a price to pay to teach a lesson. Goodness Gracious.






3 comments:

ChrisnDave said...

Oh dear :) Well, at least it wasn't your negligence - Riv totally got a 1st degree sunburn on his face when we forgot sunscreen on our boat ride in Uganda. Ooops. But kids are so wonderfully resilient!!! :)

Señora H-B said...

owie!

he is so adorable. Someday we'll meet him!!

Paige said...

Ouch. That looks painful. Poor Henster. Kids and their darned independence....ah....