Monday, January 21, 2008

A cold nose and baby toes

Last night our furnace turned off at some point and since Henry rolls around in his bed a lot, he usually doesn't have any blankets on him even when I pile them on when he goes to bed, and then again when I go to bed. I was awakened by his crying and immediately noticed that my nose was frozen, so I got up and brought him into my bed. Luckily Justin was on call or else it would have been pretty crowded in there. He curled up into a ball with his hands wedged in between his knees and I snuggled against him and put his frozen little toes through my thighs and soon we were asleep again. We woke to an absolutely freezing house. Henry was trying to burrow his way to china against my body like he usually does when he sleeps with us, but I tried to pretend that I was still asleep. He kept putting his frozen little hand on my cheeks for some reason, then when I turned over towards him he put both of his hands on both my cheeks and looking at me very seriously from one inch away said, "food, food." I guess he wanted to make sure I saw and heard him. haha! So we made some eggs and salsa, which he threw all over the floor and then we headed off to the bathroom where he took about a two hour long bath in deep warm water while I cleaned the bathroom, then turned on the blow dryer which warmed it up even more. Since the rest of the house registered at 50 degrees, we liked our little warm nook. The moment I took him out of the tub he started shivering and shivered and cried until I put him down for his nap dressed in two sets of pajamas and ten blankets. As soon as I put him down, I heard the heater finally kick back into gear and it took the rest of the afternoon to warm the place back up again. I'm afraid to look at the heating bill. Ugh.

3 comments:

tawni said...

I got cold just reading this post :) Sofia does the same thing where she kicks off all the blankets and freezes to death. Nothing can keep her warm. She always gets blue lips. You are more than welcome to come out here and visit us in California where all other kids (except mine who has blue lips) wear summer pj's to bed year around! Not us. I freeze when its 70 degrees! Its cute that he snuggles up to you. I think Im going to go jump in her crib with her right now!

Julia said...

That sounds miserable. I remember several times when we were living in the Towers (good old med-school housing), waking up to find out the heat went out sometime during the night.

I have loved reading your blog and catching up. We are still in New York, and will be for at least the next seven years. Eric is doing gen surg at Cornell, so we are living on the UES now. We love it, and are so glad we are still in the city.

Sarah said...

Cute boy. Fun to have such a littl cuddle-bug. Looks like your trip was fun!