Monday, June 6, 2011

Dirty Dash!

Henry crying with Bea wondering how she's going to clean her hands

There is an insane race called the Dirty Dash that is held in Midway, UT up by Park City at a venue that was created for the Olympics and it is the craziest race ever.  There are tons of start times and categories of racers that do a 5 or 10K and other stuff, but I did the Piglet Plunge with the kids which is basically a mile race(more like a walk for me) starting on a giant muddy slope, then across a field and down a muddy slip n slide to another mud field and then down to this huge mud puddle that you have to wade through and then climb up a giant mud mountain, slide down and cross the finish line.
Henry screaming as he runs down the slip n slide

Nice view though!
Almost at the end and still protesting



Henry worried about the giant mud puddle

Behind Clementine is the mud mountain/slide before the finish line.  Check out those muddy people!
By the time it's all over, people are totally covered in the thickest, blackest mud you have ever seen.  You don't have to get super dirty, as you can tell from my kids only being muddy from the waist down, but most people go all out and just get super dirty.  I got there and couldn't find my friends who were supposed to take my kids through the race, so I just found a straggler family at the back and got them to take the kids.  Henry cried the whole time saying that he didn't want to get his socks dirty and seriously just cried and freaked out until he was all cleaned off.  He was running down the hill screaming, "I never want to do this again! Waaaaa!" while Bea was so happy to play in the mud and get super dirty.
Check out these super muddy kids with my almost clean children.  I wish they had gotten  into it more!


Not happy Henry with pensive Bea
Since my kids didn't know this family and I didn't know them either I had to run along side them pushing my stroller through all these bumpy fields to avoid all the mud and Clemmie was laughing the whole time as she was bouncing around.  She didn't cry all day long and just fell asleep anywhere and was such a trooper.  Her little chubby feet got burned though since I forgot to put sunblock on them. Poor baby. At the end you can pay a little money for a hot shower(which I totally did) or take a super cold shower that's directly from the stream nearby to wash off and then most people donate their shoes to charity.  They clean them off really well and give them away.  I can't WAIT to do it again next year together as a family.  I convinced Henry that it would be really fun if we were all holding hands and getting muddy together.  Even Clemmie will be able to do it next year since you just have to be two years old to participate.
Almost to the finish line.  They could hardly walk with the mud that was on their shoes!



After that we went to a hotel pool with our friends to relax and hang out until I found my phone face down in a puddle of water that was created by Bea trying to find candy in my purse and dripping water in the stroller undercarriage and letting my phone drop in it.  I just turned it on for the first time a few minutes ago and it still works, but the screen is really messed up.  I got the super insurance plan for it so hopefully I can just get a new one tomorrow.  The kids fell asleep on the way home around 6 pm and didn't wake up until 8:30 this morning.  That's the most all three have slept in together.  Oh, the saddest part the whole day was when I was trying to get my stuff out to the car with Clementine asleep in my new double stroller and I had the big cooler on the other seat that is facing the seat she was sleeping in, along with a whole bunch of stuff, and I was so stressed out about my phone and I just wanted to get in the car to get home and I forgot to hold the cooler and when I stopped the stroller for something, the cooler slid forward and smashed into Clementine's chubby, sleeping face.  I couldn't imagine a worse way to wake up than having a giant cooler smash into your face.  I almost cried I felt so bad.  Luckily there's no bruise or anything, but it was not a good mothering moment for me.

2 comments:

DCRomney 2010 said...

Woah, I am SO jealous, that looks like tons of fun!!! Ok, not the Upset Henry part, but the rest of it does!!! What's with our whiney big boys?! :)Anyway, we love and miss you guys!!!

Laura said...

I have had friends do this race. I didn't even know they had a kids one. My kids would have had mud from head to toe. I think it is cute how clean your kids were. Sad that Henry didn't get into it as much. Glad he got to have a shower at the end.