Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The New Neighbors

These last few days Henry has gotten the idea into his head that he has to make a present for our new neighbors.  If you haven't been keeping up, we haven't had very good luck with our neighbors.  Henry has pooped and peed on our neighbor's deck, the YW scared our other neighbor half to death playing hide and go seek, we got in trouble playing in our other neighbor's yard, etc. etc. I have felt kind of bad because we haven't even gone over to meet our new neighbors yet so when Henry said he was making a present for them I was thinking that this would be a great opportunity to formally meet.  He worked for three days drawing, coloring, and writing at least 20 different items. He wrote "I (heart) you neighbors" and "welcome neighbors" and of course wrote Henry all over everything.  He traced his hand a foot on at least half of the papers and if you see him you will notice his fingers and toes outlined with blue and green marker.  He put them into a giant box and I made some meyer lemon squares to go along with the strange gift.  We've been busy over the last few days so every night he's been disappointed that we haven't gone over there so this morning at 9am he convinced me to let him go over there to deliver the box.  I was SURE they wouldn't be home at that time so I let him go over while I stood in our driveway.  He rang the doorbell and looked back at me saying, "I'm going to wait for a long time mom".  After about one minute I said, "well, it looks like they're not home so we'll come back later." That's when he proceeded to open the front door, which was unlocked for some reason, and he poked his head into their house and yelled, "Hey, there's a package out here for you!"  Then my poor neighbor, in his underwear, came to the door saying that he had just woken up and thanked Henry for the announcement.  At this point I was in shock, hands over my mouth, at what had just happened, totally embarrassed, I yelled back that Henry had actually made that for him and that I didn't think they would be home and that I was really sorry.  I asked him if we could come back later sometime and he said to come back at 10am.  We went back and guess what? No one answered.  Big surprise. 

1 comment:

Thayer said...

What a sweet boy. Based on the other experiences you've had, it sounds like he won't be scarred from this one :)