Sunday, March 28, 2010

Craziness

Henry has had some pretty serious melt downs lately.  These can come from anything including when I cut his strawberry wrong, when I drew a wrong line on a picture we were supposed to be drawing together at school and whenever I refuse to dress him and undress him like he can't do it himself. Yesterday I was driving in the car and during a calm moment we had this conversation...

Mom: Henry, what I can do to help you to be happier and not freak out so much when things go wrong?
Henry: Well, I was thinking...if you just give me what I want every time I want something I will always be happy!
Mom: You know I can't do that Henry.  What if we always talk nicely to each other and work out problems together when things go wrong?
Henry(very seriously): Mom, I just don't think I can do that because I'm crazy.  I just keep getting crazier and crazier and I just can't stop the craziness. 
Mom: (laughs out loud and starts getting seriously worried about when baby #3 arrives)

Well, if any of you can help me "stop the craziness" I will invite any suggestions.

4 comments:

Kyndal said...

Oh dear! I have to admit, that comment got me laughing, too. Not sure I have any advice (I'll probably be asking you for it when I'm in your shoes in a couple of years), but I will pray for you, Friend!

Tracie said...

That's hilarious! I love that you can have a "rational" conversation with him and that is what you get! Good luck... I'm sure I'll be seeking your advice in years to come, too. Colton has already started in on some craziness that I don't really appreciate.

DCRomney 2010 said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! I can't wait to see him in a few days!!!

Paige said...

Oh boy. Kids say the darndest things. I laughed really hard, but only because it was someone else's kid. Too bad my kid's doing the same thing these days!! When he freaks out I tell him to "Use your words, don't just scream," and "If you want to scream, you may scream outside. Let's just go outside and scream (while leading him outside)." at which point he usually stops screaming. Although I have seen him go outside, scream at the top of his lungs for a minute or so, then come back in. That was pretty hilarious. Sometimes when he's being totally irrational I just look at him calmly and say, "Ok, just let me know when you're done freaking out and we can ______ (eat ice cream, play outside, eat this strawberry, etc.)." I'm also doing three strikes and you're out - OUT being timeout, sitting away from friends, no toys, etc. That usually works, at least for a few minutes!! Good luck!