Thursday, August 13, 2009

Boys are trouble


So I know what you're thinking, why are my boys so much trouble. It's usually the baby who's to blame for trouble sleeping. Well, she is the only person in the family who isn't waking me up on a regular basis. She sleeps completely through the night and isn't cranky in the morning! Here's an example of what I'm going through...

3:30am Henry Screaming in Bed: I want gum! Waahhhhhhh.
Me, delirious from going to bed at 1am and running into his room: Okay, I'll
find you some. Just relax and go back to sleep
Henry: I don't want your gum, I want daddy's gum! (kicking and screaming)
Me: Okay, I'll ask Daddy when he wakes up
Henry: No, I want some now! Aaaaaaaahhhhh!
Me: Henry, you're going to wake up your little sister and Daddy and he's not
going to be happy about that. He's really tired.
Henry: Daddy!!!! Ahhh. Ahhhhh!
Me: Go back to sleep please, it's the middle of the night. Everyone is
asleep!
Henry still freaking out: My Daddy, I want my Daddy! I want gum! Aaahhh!
Me: Henry, if you don't stop screaming I'm going to throw your blankies in
the garbage!
Henry: No! Don't throw my blankies in the garbage!
Me: Then stop freaking out and go to bed! It's the middle of the night! If I
have to come back in here, I'm not going to be nice! (I leave the room)
Henry whimpering for the next hour or so and turns on the light. I can still
hear him so I don't every really fall back to sleep until he's in bed at 4:30
5:15am I hear the loudest crash ever. Justin's not in bed and it's still dark
outside. I run out to the hallway and frantically yell, "Justin are you
home!!!!???" thinking someone just broke down the back door. My adrenaline
is on overload.
Justin: few second pause, yes, I need some help
Me: I walk down to the kitchen to find en entire half gallon glass milk jar
with the full amount of milk in it smashed on the ground in front of the
open fridge, milk everywhere, glass everywhere, milk on the carpet, under
the fridge, down the wood floor slats, and Justin needs to leave for work,
can't be late.
Me: cleaned up milk and glass for an hour and start my day

This and other incidents including Justin crashing the baby gate down one morning after another night of Henry's fits are common occurrances in our house lately. I basically get no sleep. Now I'm sick in the middle of the summer and have a race to run in two days! Boys really are trouble

5 comments:

Laurel Dougall said...

i am sorry amelia!!! i will pray for you. if it makes you feel any better, sawyer has gotten up for a while in the night a few times and it has really bothered me. if he doesn't settle though i threaten and then follow through with snapping him into his stroller for the rest of the night. he quickly gives up and goes to sleep . . . it's worth a try! :) laurel

Thayer said...

That is a rough night. Do you think it is night terrors with Henry (can't come up with any excuses for Justin :))? Or is he pretty with it? When my kids have them, they sort of make sense (like asking for gum, but not your gum, etc.) but they can't reason or calm down well. Hopefully it'll end soon. Good luck tomorrow, at least it's a team thing, when you feel tired and can't paddle, just remind Justin of the milk jug :)

Unknown said...

ai yai yai yai yai!!! good luck on your race! when do we get to see you guys again? we're free this fri-sun, labor day weekend fri-mon...

Unknown said...

by the way, its not mark, its christi but i'm at mark's place in geneva on his laptop. sorry :)

Sarah said...

Ha ha. I love the threat to throw away the blankies.