Monday, July 7, 2008

Potty Power

Henry is starting potty training, but it's not going as smoothly as I had expected. For the past few months Henry has been really interested in going potty on his potty chair...when he's naked. If I strip him down he'll go potty all day long in his potty chair. He gets to put stickers on his chart and eat a gummy bear each time. However, when I suggest that he put underwear on or even a pull-up, he screams, "noooooooo! I want my eneflant diaper! Ahhhhhhhhh." When he has his diaper on he doesn't think about going potty, so I don't know what to do. Something tells me that I should just wait to potty train him until he's three, but that's in the middle of the winter and I just don't think I could keep him naked all the time when it's so cold outside and I really would like him to be on his way to being potty trained by the end of the fall. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't think I've been so unprepared for something since before Henry was born. With my track record, you'd think I would have read 10 books about potty training before attempting this, but I'm feeling lazy lately. I'm checking out ASL DVDs though so I can learn more sign language. I want to use it on a daily basis so "baby sister" can get the same or better opportunity as Hen. I also don't want to have Signing Time on the TV every day because it's honestly driving me nuts. I can't stand hearing that woman sing any longer! I hope to be semi-fluent soon and then I'll use it to start teaching Henry Italian. I can't wait until he can speak Italian! Italian children have the sweetest little voices.

7 comments:

The Giles said...

No advice on potty training - we are not attempting that quite yet. But CONGRATULATIONS on the baby girl. I'm so thrilled for you!!! Hope you are doing well.

Brazil's Girl said...

Hey girl,

I emailed you. Talk to you soon.

Alissa said...

From someone with NO practical experience who gives lots of advice, I would wait. It's going to be a struggle if he's not into it, and all your hard work may be for naught if he regresses when baby sister comes along. I do have a great theory for potty training when the child is 1--remind me and I'll tell you in a year!

wildthayn said...

What a cute little boy!! I hope you don't mind me reading your blog. Its fun to find family on blogs. I have 3 down and one to go on potty training, and my philosophy is to wait until they are completely ready. I would rather change 1000 diapers than clean up accidents. I've done it both ways prefer to wait. Good luck!
-Sarah

Kendra Leigh said...

A friend from my mission just started training her 3rd child- a boy. Here's what she has to say about it:
http://theforneyfourplusone.blogspot.com/2008/06/round-three.html

Good luck!

DCRomney said...

Hey girl, haven't heard from you in a while...
All I can say is start potty-training "little sister" as soon as you can - like when she's 2 months old - it is so wonderful and I hope that he'll be so used to it that by the time he can walk, he'll just walk himself to the potty when he needs to go.
Anyway, I MISS YOU! Email me - how are you feeling, what adventures have you had lately, when do we get to see you guys again?
BTW, I'm sitting in Jackson Lake Lodge right now, watching the sun go down behind Les Trois Tetons !!!

Jodi said...

oh, I couldn't empathize more! we are in the same potty dilemma. I wish there were a solution, but I think every kid and situation is different, so I'm sure you'll work it out. you're a great mom. tell me if you figure it out before I do...we're still working on it.