Saturday, December 8, 2007

Octopus for dinner




Tonight I cooked baby octopus for dinner in this incredible Asian stir fry recipe I have in my Williams Sonoma cookbook. I really didn't know what I was doing and I had to improvise because the recipe called for beef, but it turned out really great with octopus. Justin and I were really excited to see if Henry would have eaten the baby octopus because he LOVES octopi to death. He has two finger puppets that are probably two of his favorite toys and he carries them around wherever he goes. We set one in front of him and he ate all the tentacles off of it and was trying to eat the head, but was just a bit too chewy. The tentacles were nice and tender though and he gladly ate them up. While he was eating it, he put his finger in the hole that went into it's head and kind of played with it like it was one of his finger puppets too! haha! We tried not to look at him or laugh because we knew he would just get inspired to play with it more. I'm genuinely impressed that he would eat such an alien-like looking thing. I think I'm going to try to introduce some very strange foods to him so he'll keep eating anything I put in front of him. I heard that the age from two to three is when they can get picky about what they eat. Maybe I'll try the dried crickets from the Mexican food market. If I get him to eat those, he'll surely eat anything else I make! I'm going to make grilled octopus tomorrow night, so maybe I'll take a photo of Henry eating one to go with the story.

4 comments:

julie said...

WOW!! I think my kids would have to be unconscious for them to eat octopus. That is awesome that Henry would eat it. By the way, he is the cutest thing ever. I love reading about everything he does. Hopefully I can meet him someday. How are you?? I feel like I have been so out of it. I will try and get an email off to you soon..or even better a phone call. I hope you are doing well.

josh.sandra.ava.davis.ella said...

I would have to be unconscious before eating that...gross!!!!!!! good for you guys for being so daring!

Sarah said...

I can't believe he ate it! That's awesome. Great pics by the way. I can see those showing up in a wedding video someday.

1384 n said...

I'm way impressed!