Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wash your mouth out with soap....



When I was growing up, I frequently got my mouth washed out with soap for "talking back" (I still don't know what that means). The worst part of that was finding a chunk of soap stuck in my teeth a couple hours after I had tried to get it all out. Blech. So, since I'm not planning on doing that ever to my sweet Henry I let him have his own taste of soap today as we took a bath together. He was interested in the soap and even though I made the yuk face and said 'Blech!, eeew, Yuk" a million times, he still proceeded to put the bar in his mouth, bite down with his newly emerged molars and shaved some chunks out of it. At first he smiled and laughed as he chewed because that's what he usually does when he does something he knows I don't want him to do, but the smiles quickly turned to gags and dry heaves as it made it's way back to his throat. He didn't cry, but the look of disgust on his face that I saw today was a face I had never before seen. I think he eventually swallowed the bits, but didn't get sick or throw up (which was good since I was in the tub too). I don't think he'll ever do that again. lol:)

Some of you may think that I should have just taken it from him, sparing him from this experience, however I'm trying to let the natural consequenses of his actions teach him about the gross and the relatively dangerous so that I'm not the "mean mom" who always saves him or tells him what to do. He is getting good at listening to me when I say "danger," however making my "gross face" doesn't really keep him from eating dirt, worms (one worm became two as it met Henry's chompers), yesterday's dinner from off the floor, or spilled drink off our deck. No matter what he does, we are laughing constantly at his faces and funny personality. We just love that little one.

No comments: